Friday, September 18, 2009

A perfect vacation....well, almost.


This week my fellow volunteers and I had a week off from school for the celebration of Honduran Independencia. Instead of having to be in a march with the school, we got the week off and four of us were off to the beach! We looked to the guidebook for guidance, which lead us to Trujillo for the prettiest beaches! We set off early on a long and windy bus ride through the mountains. Once there we heard the best place in town was Casa Kiwi (http://www.casakiwi.com/), a quiet place outside of town run by two sweet women from New Zealand.
We couldn't believe our eyes...this place was PERFECT! I'm talking about beautiful white beaches, thatched huts, hammocks, a room for 100 Limpira ($5) a night, and the best food and hospitality one could as for. We basically had the place to ourselves except for one sweet couple with the best British accents I've ever heard. The whole week was amazing...and the sunsets were breathtaking.
Every day I'd get up early, get a hot cup of Honduran coffee, have some quiet time in a hammock while looking over the beach, eat a hearty breakfast (like banana pancakes), and then spend the rest of the day on the beach reading or in the glassy water. We even snorkled out to a shipwreck off the shore...which was phenomenal until I got stung by a jellyfish!!
We went into town one day to see the sights, and were approached by two men with a gun. They took our bookbags (mine had my purse, new digital camera, and other little things like my headlamp!) Luckily our stuff was all they wanted...and they just left with our stuff. This experience was one of the scariest moments of my life, but I know that I'm blessed to be alive...things are replaceable, but people are not. I was upset about my things (mostly my camera) but the next morning during my quiet time, God showed me a few things that I needed to see: (all from Matthew 5 and 6)

1. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also.

2. Give to the one who asks you and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you.

3. Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be children of your Father in heaven.

4. Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth where moth and rust destroy and where thieves steal, but store up for yourselves treasures in heaven. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

5. Seek first the kingdom and his righteousness and all these things will be given to you as well.

*I'm thankful for good friends to laugh with through the good times and bad. I'm thankful for a loving family. I'm thankful that God has called me to this country. I'm thankful that every day Christ makes all things new. I'm thankful for every breath and so much more.

2 comments:

  1. Beth,
    I could not be more proud of you! Reading about your contentment in your current situation, even with horrible things happening to you, convicts me to no end. I cannot wait to see the wonderful things that God has for you through this journey. I will definitely be praying for you. I love you, girl!

    "Being confident of this, that He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Jesus Christ."
    ~Philippians 1:6~

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am almost speechless. You read the Bible, knew the Bible and then did the hardest (but simplest) of all, FOLLOWED it.

    I do not know what I would do in such a situation. I can sit here and say I would do the same but, honestly, when the event occured with all the emotion involved, I cannot be certain.

    You succeeded in your test. Some might call what you did cowardice but, I believe it was the bravest choice.

    So you're coming back soon?

    ReplyDelete