Saturday, May 15, 2010

9 months down...1 month to go!





Time sure does fly when you're having fun! I can't believe I only have one more month of my experience here in Honduras. Leaving will surely be a bittersweet event. I will miss my kids, the other volunteers, my Honduran friends, and most of all--my roommate, Sarah! However, I know that I'll never forget my experiences here or the people I shared them with!

Lately, I've been trying to take advantage of any opportunity to hang out with people or go to a new place. I've been going to soccer games, taking Spanish lessons (finally), and have gone on some hiking adventures. Last week I'm pretty sure we almost died trying to climb Boqueron mountain on an off trail trek that led us through poisonous bushes, ash, falling rock, spiky trees, and steep, slippery slopes. Well, I lived to tell about it! :)

Today Sarah, Dan, and I accompanied a family from school to the river at Boqueron. They brought their grill and a plethora of carne! We had a great time just relaxing, eating, and swimming. Hondurans sure know how to enjoy life! Needless to say, this Saturday was opposite the intensity of our climb last weekend.

This past week at school was overall...amazing!!! I feel like after 9 months we're in our groove. Better late than never I suppose. I FINALLY started using the centers I set up at the beginning of the year. I think I was always scared the kids couldn't handle the centers and it was crazy enough without them--but, they LOVE them and are trying to be on their best behavior so they have more time there. I've also pumped up the motivation and am rewarding students who have good behavior...after 150 days of school, they should know how to act! My new phrase is, "Let's make God smile!" I'm going to miss being able to talk about God and singing Christian songs with my kids...that's been one of my favorite things!

Last night I received two boxes...one from my lovely mother and one from my sweet boyfriend. It's amazing how much excitement getting a box of goodies can be. I feel so loved and blessed that they spent time and money to send me some treats (for myself and my kids) to get me through my last month here. It's crazy how much I appreciate simple things like a box of cinnamon life cereal, french vanilla coffee creamer, and crystal light packs. I'm so lucky to have such wonderful people in my life!

Well I'm going to enjoy my last month here to the fullest before I return to the states. I've got to make some more memories so I have more stories to bring back to share with my family and friends. Here I go!

This is my amazing bilingual aid, Wendy.
These are most of the volunteers and I supporting Mario's (in front) soccer team.

This is the mountain we so vigorously climbed...Boqueron.

1 comment:

  1. This all sounds so amazing Beth!! I think all of Latin America knows how to live! I fell in love with the Argentine lifestyle! You take time to sit back and enjoy your friend's and family's company. You share life with one another! I loved how it would be normal to sit for hours around the dinner table just talking and laughing! I'm so so so glad that you've gotten this beautiful experience!! Keep updating your blog! ;)

    ReplyDelete